A content management system, or CMS, plays a massive role in building a brand’s online presence. Without this form of organization, many companies struggle and crumble over their own goals. To get the most out of a company’s potential online, it’s important to find the CMS that fits specific needs. There are many articles whether you should you use WordPress or Wix? But, here’s my take on the best providers out there!
Finding the right CMS doesn’t have to be a difficult process. There are so many out there to choose from for a variety of businesses. Many allow companies to post content directly to the web while others work best with different programs. If you’re looking for a CMS to use in duality with another piece of software, you may want to look into HubSpot Mailchimp integration. Depending on what a company needs, the right CMS exists. In this article, we’ll go through what options are out there and how to choose the best ones.
What Kinds Exist
Almost every industry uses a CMS even though they vary widely. Health care is nowhere near the same type of business as finance, so using the same CMS for both companies wouldn’t work out. Luckily, companies have a lot of different management systems to choose from:
- Web content management system, or a WCMS: Primarily deals with delivering content online rather than on paper.
- Digital asset management system, or DAM: More dedicated to multimedia management like graphic design and photography.
- Document management system, or DMS: This is a document manager and focuses on files.
- Enterprise content management system, or ECM: Handles emails, documents, messaging and other content on a global scale.
- Component content management system, or CCMS: Works similarly to a DMS but focuses more on details like topics and descriptors.
Our Top Five
Picking the best CMS is a personal journey after a company determines the problems it will soon face. Not every CMS will work for every company, no matter how great they may or may not be. In the end, a company can only be offered the best CMS from another’s point of view, but these are still the best in their field.
- WordPress is a free-to-use website that’s become very popular ever since its launch in 2003. Providing an easy interface to create a great website or blog, WordPress allows businesses to keep all sorts of media content in one place without being too complicated to use. If you do choose to use anything other than WordPress for your blog, you will have to look for a web hosting provider to get your site live for anyone to see. With this being said, knowing How to Use HostGator Coupon Codes may make this decision a whole lot easier. Plus, who doesn’t love a discount, especially if it helps with productivity!
The platform has premade themes for personalization, caters to a number of industries and allows companies to choose their own domain name. The business plan costs about $25 a month.
- Squarespace has a similar history and build to WordPress but is entirely open-source, meaning the software cannot be downloaded. Instead, Squarespace is a simple website builder where a company can host content or blog to its heart’s content. The great thing about Squarespace is the easy-to-use tools, allowing a website to be built from scratch. At heart, this is a commerce platform. Squarespace costs about $18 a month.
- Magnolia is a Java-based CMS made with a focus on businesses in mind. This platform creates a website with simple tools for anyone to work with. The interface brings together analytics, marketing, e-commerce, social media and other online-based systems to create the perfect CMS for a variety of companies. The best aspect of Magnolia is the security, which keeps websites and private elements separated for safety. The prices are designed to suit a business’s specific needs.
- HubSpot is an ideal CMS for marketers. It offers attractive content that can be delivered straight to the target audience. This platform can boost contacts, export data and segment e-mails. Marketers can use HubSpot to create e-mail lists that update automatically based on membership. The system can even create tailored e-mails without outside expertise.
- Wix is a cloud-based CMS that integrates HTML5 and mobile-optimation to websites. In the ever-advancing tech world, tools with HTML5 and mobile compatibility are a must have for a business. What’s more, Wix is easy to customize with simple drag-and-drop features and caters to marketing, contact forms and other essential tools. Even better, the price for Wix starts at about $4.50 a month.
How to Choose the Best
To figure out the best CMS for a business, it’s important to determine the problems and hurdles ahead. Once this is done, a business can search for solutions. This is referred to as a gap analysis. The gap analysis assesses the differences in performance to determine if the business’s needs and requirements are being met. If they aren’t, a CMS comes in.
A company will need to answer a few questions, such as where it wants to publish content or whether or not to use the cloud. If the business is already using a CMS of some kind, consider if the current CMS fits the company’s vision or if a major upgrade is needed.
Productivity With CMS
A CMS exists to help a business become better organized until everything turns into a well-oiled machine. If the CMS is hard to implement or employees have trouble understanding the interface, then the CMS should be changed to reflect the company’s specific needs. Sometimes shopping around and trying out new platforms can take a little while, but the change can be one for the better even if the growing pains might hurt a little at first.
In the end, a CMS is there to help a company thrive. If there’s no improvement, then it’s time for a new CMS, plain and simple. With the wide variety of options out there, it should be easy for a business to find the best CMS for their needs.