A host of free task management tools exist. But which one is right for your business or project? In this post we break down the top nine free task management tools.
We outline what each free task management tool is best used for, what makes it great (and where it’s not so great). If you are looking for a great free task management tool to get started with your business, then start by looking at the following.
(listed in no particular order)
Free Task Management Tools – Trello
Trello is a flexible task management tool. It is visual and easy to use, and not only suitable for larger projects but pretty much anything that you need to organise. They have a free plan that offers one power up board, unlimited boards, lists and members and the ability to attach files up to 10MB. Their paid plan starts at $9.99 per user, per month (when paid annually in advance). Alternatively, it’s $12.50 per user on a month to month basis.
- Flexible and easy to use
- Offers plenty of unlimited options on the free package
- Business plan is a great budget option for upgrade
- Free package only allows for 10MB uploads
- The free package only comes with one power up board
Free Task Management Tools – Asana
Asana is designed to help teams to work together to complete a project. You can see the progress of the project easily and all without needing to send an email, or schedule a meeting with those involved. They have a free task management plan that offers the basic usability. Whilst there are unlimited tasks you can only have up to 15 members and the search and dashboard is in a basic format. If you want to upgrade from their free task management tool, the paid package starts at $9.99 per member, per month (when paid annually in advance).
- You can link conversations and comments to actual tasks
- You can create tasks with ease and assign them to the appropriate person
- Have a conversation just like you would on social media with likes and hearts
- The free package offers basic usability and is limited to only 15 team members
- To be able to have a more customisable package you will need to upgrade to the first level of paid
Free Task Management Tools – Task Pigeon
Task Pigeon is a free task management tool that makes it easy to create, assign and manage the tasks you and your team work on each day. With Task Pigeon it is easy to create categories, assign tasks and see what you have to work on each day. Task Pigeon is also designed to be flexible and team members can respond to tasks within the app or simply by hitting “reply” to a task notification email. A free tier is available that includes unlimited tasks, unlimited categories and up to five users. All teams get a free 14 day trial of the premium/business version which is available on one low price of $9 per user, per month, with no annual commitment. Simply pay month to month.
- Task Pigeon provides a simply and easy to understand dashboard. You and your team should be up and running in minutes
- Team members can get notifications and respond to tasks in the web application or via email (even on the free tier)
- Unlike other task management tools Task Pigeon provides a simple flat fee on a month to month basis. You don’t need to lock in for 6 months or a year to get the best price.
- Task Pigeon doesn’t currently support a calendar view which some people may like
- The free version provides unlimited tasks and categories but is limited to a maximum of 5 users
Wrike is suitable for a range of uses, this includes project management/task management, marketing, creative projects, and even product development. A variety of different teams can benefit from being able to plan, prioritise and communicate during tasks lifetime. They have a free task management plan which is ideal for up to 5 users. The paid package starts at $9.80 per user per month (when paid annually in advance) and offers full project planning access.
- A great tool for a variety of different business types
- Versatile and simple to use
- The free package is only suitable for up to 5 users
- The lower level of paid package only suitable for up t0 15 users. If you have more than 15 users, the next tier starts at $24.80 per user, per month (when billed annually in advance).
Freedcamp is a free task management tool designed to offer effortless team collaboration. It is suitable for home and office plans, from organising a holiday to creating a huge and complicated work project. They have a free plan that allows for unlimited users, unlimited storage and unlimited projects. Their business plan starts at $8.99 per user, per month (when billed annually in advance). If you prefer monthly pricing this jumps to $10.99 per user, per month.
- The free package offers a vast array of user functions
- If you don’t require the business plan, their is a paid tier for “Lite” users available at $5.99 for the first user, and $1.99 for every user after that (when paid monthly).
- There appears to be a reduced level of support compared to other tools, with the free plan only allowing for email responses within 3 days.
- The free version only allows for uploads up to 10MB
- Due to the large number of options (and potential uses) the user interface may take some time to get accustom to.
Producteev offers a free task management solution that is designed for projects and work that is to be completed by a team. It is powerful yet simple, offering more than just a to do list that you will need to check off. It is designed to encourage communication and co-operative working. They have a free package that offers unlimited users and tasks. Their paid plan starts at $99 per month.
- You can use shortcut commands to quickly assign tasks (+), add followers (@), add labels (#), set a priority (*), or set a deadline (!).
- It is compatible with iPhone, Android, iPad, Mac and Web
- It is easy to use for tasks and projects, both large and small.
- The paid plan is an expensive jump, with the minimum cost starting at $99 a month. But it does support up to 100 users.
- The free plan does not come with customisation colours
- It also does not come with personalised support
Droptask is a fluid and simple way to get tasks completed. It offers a chance to plan and manage a wide range of different projects. Best of all, it is a beautifully designed piece of software that uses “droplettes” as a way of organising tasks. They gave a free package that offers a complete view but is limited to 5 members and 1 project. Their paid package starts at $8.25 per month for a single user when paid annually in advance..
- An incredibly visual approach to manging a project
- Compatible with a variety of different platforms
- Low price on the paid level, especially if you choose to lock in for multiple years
- Their free plan is very limited on the users and tasks that you can have
- Some people may find the “droplet” style of task management different to what they are used to.
Mindmeister has become incredibly popular for more than 7 million people in order to complete their creative work. It is an online mind mapping tool which offers an effective way to develop and share ideas. As it is aimed at creative types, it is incredibly visual in its design. They offer a free plan which offers basic usage, allowing for up to 3 mind maps. Their paid plan starts at $6 per user per month (personal) or $15 per user, per month (business) when billed every six months.
- It is well suited to creative types who prefer to “visualise” what needs to be done, rather than just follow simple lists.
- You can easily use your mind-maps in presentations. It provides a great way of explaining who needs to do what, when.
- It utilising a drag and drop interface for the majority of its functions.
- The free package is incredibly limited
- More suited to creative projects, so it will not suit all task management requirements
- The lowest paid plan is only suitable for personal use
Exactly what it says on the tin, Todoist is a tool to help people get done what they need to. It is easy to use and offers accessibility from anywhere. You can even collaborate and share tasks to help complete them even sooner. They offer a free task management plan which gives you access across 10+ platforms and is limited to only 5 people per project. Their paid plan starts at $28.99 per user, per year.
- Can be accessed anywhere online and offline
- Offers collaboration on shared tasks
- A simple and easy to use design
- May be too simple for some businesses
- The free package and the lowest paid level is designed for individuals rather than business teams.